Coarse Hemp Shiv
Hemp shiv is the chopped up (shiv), woody core of the hemp plant. Perfect for hempcrete and insulating plaster. Contact us for ordering and availability.
42 in stock (can be backordered)
Environmental benefits of Hemp and Hempcrete.
- Hemp is easily grown without the use of pesticides
- Low amounts of energy used in the production of Hemp Shiv.
- Large amounts of carbon dioxide are locked up in Hempcrete buildings.
- Hempcrete is breathable, therefore controls moisture and condensation
- Resistant to rodents, insects, fungi and bacteria
- Flexible and crack resistant
- Visually attractive – any shape can be formed with Hempcrete.
- Light-weight & Recyclable
- Sustainably produced – Fast growing, Hemp crop is grown annually.
- Chemical Free
- Helps to keep internal humidity levels within the 40-60% range which inhibits the growth of viruses and bacteria
- At the end of its lifespan, both lime and hemp are fully recyclable. They can be returned to simple composting areas and even be used to treat clay soils in gardens or fields
- Reversible, hemp-lime mortars can be removed from adjacent materials without damage.
Uses for Hempcrete
Newbuild: Using forms, Hempcrete is cast in situ creating walls of various thicknesses and shapes. Hempcrete is self-supporting, but not load bearing so it’s usually formed around a softwood timber frame. Hempcrete can be used in the construction of floors and roofs, adding a breathable, insulating layer.
Restoration projects: In old buildings, Hempcrete is used to replace damaged or missing infill. When used internally hemp adds an insulating and breathable render to stone walls.
For internal hemp/lime plaster we recommend mixing Roundtower NHL 2 and Hemp.
For Hempcrete we recommend mixing Roundtower NHL 5 and Hemp.
Hemp comes in a 44 lb (20kg bale) and has 200L of Hemp per bale.
|Dimensions||32 × 15 × 12 in|
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.